Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Banned Book Week - Crank

Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
Publish Date: October 5th, 2004 ; Simon Pulse
Synopsis:
Kristina Georgia Snow is the perfect daughter: gifted high school junior, quiet, never any trouble. But on a trip to visit her absentee father, Kristina disappears and Bree takes her place. Bree is the exact opposite of Kristina -- she's fearless.
Through a boy, Bree meets the monster: crank. And what begins as a wild, ecstatic ride turns into a struggle through hell for her mind, her soul -- her life.


Crank is one of my favorites books of all time. When I saw it on the American Library Association (ALA) Top 100 Banned Books 2000-2009, I was very surprised. I shouldn't be though, considering what the book withholds, but nevertheless I was.


Why It Is Banned:
The reason that this book was banned because it features very inappropriate things. Such as getting high, or in this case, using crank. Crank is often known as crystal meth; a powered substance that is used as an illegal drug. By getting high, you turn into that one person that ends up doing dumb things. Crank doesn't promote it, but it does amplify the situation by basing the book series around drugs. 

Reason Why I Think It Shouldn't: 
For one, I love how this book is written. That's what made me turn to it the first time. I'm a big book cover judger, and this cover isn't appealing. But, skimming through the pages, I know I had to.

For more of my post, click here. Go check it out and leave comments!(:

P.S. Will be back on blog schedule soon! Sorry for delay in posts! Blame high school.

1 comment:

I adore comments. They make my day and make me smile. :) So, please don't hesitate to comment. I try to reply back to each! If you want me to check out your blog as well, just leave your blog address. I would more than happy check it out.

Thanks for visting! ♥