Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Blood Red Road by Moira Young {22nd]

-This has been in my drafts for the LONGEST time-
Title: Blood Red Road
Author: Moira Young
Pages: 344
Format: Hardcover
Publish Date: June 7th, 2011 ; Margaret K. McElderry
Source: Bought
Synopsis:
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization. Blood Red Road has a searing pace, a poetically minimal writing style, violent action, and an epic love story. Moira Young is one of the most promising and startling new voices in teen fiction.
Blood Red Road changed my life. Not literally, but it moved me. From the most unique and poetic writing style, to the characters portrayal. Moira Young blew me away with her novel.

Moira Young's writing is different, honestly. The way she represented Saba's voice, was the most creative thing ever. At first, I thought there were just a few typos, because, come on, there's always something that an editor misses. Instead of  'just', it was 'jest'. Instead of 'and' there was 'an'. Instead of 'get', she wrote 'git'. But then I kept seeing it spelled wrong over and over again. Plus, there were no quotation marks. So, I knew that this wasn't accidental anymore. I think I read the first few pages about five times before actually understanding that that was her writing style for this novel. It truly blew me away.

Back to the actual story, I loved the characters. Saba surprised me the most. At first, she wasn't my favorite character. She was someone that didn't seem . . nice. Lugh, on the other hand, has always been my favorite character! It made me sad when he was captured. Since it was just the beginning, and my feelings for Saba hadn't quite developed, I wanted her to have gotten captured instead. So, when the took Lugh away, it made me very upset.  But my opinions changed about Saba after she went through everything just to save her brother. Skipping to the middle of the book, one word . . Jack. If only he was a real person. He'd be all mine. From the way Moria Young described him, his personality, his looks, his attitude. . YUM. No wonder Saba became interested! The ending was one of my favorite parts. I know endings are never good, but I loved this one. Even though I knew it was the end, I still flipped some pages just to see if that was really the end.

I've never loved a book as much as I love Blood Red Road. This girl is eagerly awaiting the next book in the series. If only they had a cover, I'd be a-okay. I know the title, which is Rebel Heart, and the very brief description. But is that enough? NO. I loved joining Saba's quest to get her brother back. It was definitely adventure! I am definitely recommending this book, to everybody. Babies, toddlers, preteens, teens, young adults, adults, middle-agers, over 50, seniors, over 100.



We jest stand there. Stand an stare. We git all kinda weather here. Hot winds, firestorms, tornadoes, an once or twice we even had snow in high summer. So I seen plenty of dust storms. But never one like this.
That's one bastard of a cloud, I says.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments. They make my day and make me smile. :) So, please don't hesitate to comment. I try to reply back to each! If you want me to check out your blog as well, just leave your blog address. I would more than happy check it out.

Thanks for visting! ♥