Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Entwined by Heather Dixon {6th Review]




Azalea is trapped. Just when she should feel that everything is before her . . . beautiful gowns, dashing suitors, balls filled with dancing . . . it's taken away. All of it.

The Keeper understands. He's trapped, too, held for centuries within the walls of the palace. And so he extends an invitation.
Every night, Azalea and her eleven sisters may step through the enchanted passage in their room to dance in his silver forest.
But there is a cost.
The Keeper likes to keep things.
Azalea may not realize how tangled she is in his web until it is too late.








Title - Entwined
Author - Heather Dixon
Pages - 480
Published & Publisher - March 29th, 2011 ; Greenwillow Brook








-I la la la lovee this book! More than I could possibly imagine! It's such a new take on the YA story genre! I know, it's a retelling of a fairy-tale, but this book is so...amazing! It's breathtaking and a moving story. It didn't make my tearbuds act up, mainly because this wasn't that kind of book. But it did make me smile at times! Many times!


This story is about the Twelve Dancing Princesses. You might have heard of it because it's a classic fairy-tale. I never heard of it, but it didn't stop me from reading this book. What really drew me in was this magnificent cover. It's beautiful, and it sets the theme of the story. Kinda. It makes the story look joyful and happy, but in the story, not all times were good. 


In the beginning of the book, we are introduced to the main character, Azalea. She is the oldest out of all her siblings, and the one who is about to attending her first Yuletide Ball. She is only now attending it because she is of age. Azalea, and her sisters, have a passion for dancing. You can tell by the way Heather Dixon goes into detail about every dance and curtsy. I learned things about dances that I had never heard about it. Including a dance called Entwine. As you can clearly tell, it's the same as the title, except the title has a 'd' at the end. The Entwine is a dance where the gentleman is to catch the lady with a long sash. It's a tricky and cleverly little dance that you'll enjoy reading about. Azalea danced that dance, and was told she's the only girl that lasted awhile without getting caught. Which would have been a huge compliment, if it hadn't had been said by a unlikeable person. 


Back to the plot, the girls have to stop dancing. Their mother has just passed and they are in the period of mourning. Their father, or the King, is very strict about the mourning. Shades are to be pulled close, no visitors unless on R.B. (Royal Business), no garden, no playing outside, no clocks are to be on, and no dancing. How can you tell the twelve dancing princesses that they can't dance? You're just begging for them to go behind your back to dance. And that's exactly what Azalea and her sisters did. The castle the live in is magic. Not completely, but since the High King disappeared, there is still patches of magic around the house. Most of the silver is magic. It's because of that silver that the girls find a secret pavilion where they can dance all night long and not stop because nobody will tell them not to. Everything is going well, until things start missing. It started with a Lord's watch that Azalea is borrowing. Then it went to things that weren't as important...and then to something bigger.


Heather Dixon has a distinct writing. Everything about her writing style is great. She describes the scenes well, leaving a beautiful image in my head. It's just what a book should do! 


Plus, I love books set in different eras and countries. Things are different. There is an over-use of the word "Naturally". That's a good thing though! It makes me giggle each time. :]


I rated this book a five out of five. I really want this book on my shelf and in my hands anytime I want it to be! But sadly, I can't keep library books without paying a huge fine. And if I paid the fine, I might as well go get myself a real hardcover copy! :]




"Az, what is the place?" Bramble looked up, gaping. The tallest of the silver trees disappeared into the mist.
"I think it's the palace," Azalea managed to say.
Bramble arched a thin red eyebrow, grinning. "Not our boot-blackened palace! No wonder we were never told about this passage--we'd never come back up!"
Bramble was right. Azalea touched a swath of ribbon and pearls, feeling the knobbly string between her fingers. She hadn't expected to find so much magic, and all beneath their room!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, I have the book as well (from the library) and I can't wait to start it. I found you on New Books for New Bloggers and I am a new follower! Stop by my blog if you get a chance and check it out!
    NC
    Truly Bookish

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments. They make my day and make me smile. :) So, please don't hesitate to comment. I try to reply back to each! If you want me to check out your blog as well, just leave your blog address. I would more than happy check it out.

Thanks for visting! ♥